This course presents the three main mobile platforms and their ecosystems, namely Android, iOS, and PhoneGap/Web OS. It explores emerging technologies and tools used to design and implement feature-rich mobile applications for smartphones and tablets considering both the technical constraints relative to storage capacity, processing capacity, display screen, communication interfaces, and the user interface, context and profile.
Teaching and Learning Methods: Lectures, lab. sessions (group of 2 students) and a challenging project (group of up 2 4 students).
Course Policies: Attendance to lab. sessions are mandatory.
- Basics of the iOS, Android, and PhoneGap mobile platform ecosystem and their frameworks will be presented and complemented with their respective mini-lab sessions.
- Fundamentals of mobile application design and development for each platform will be provided and complemented with guided lab sessions and interactive discussions.
- User interface design guidelines, best practices, and sketching will be described.
- Platform trends in terms of technical progress, usability, market and strategies will be explained.
- Brainstorming about your project
- User, Market, and target platform analysis
- Technologies required to develop and deploy your application
- Design and development of the target platform
- Testing and validation
- Identify the target platform and users and be able to define and sketch a mobile application
- Understand the fundamentals, frameworks, and development lifecycle of mobile application platforms including iOS, Android, and PhoneGap
- Design and develop a mobile application prototype in one of the platforms (challenge project)
Nb hours: 42.00
- Lab. reports (30% of the final grade),
- Final Exam (30% of the final grade),
- Challenge project (40% of the final grade)