Article 29 of the Equality and Citizenship Law, published on 27 January 2017, generalizes the mechanisms for recognizing student commitment to all higher education institutions.
Student involvement in solidarity promotes the acquisition of skills and knowledge that contribute to personal development, citizenship training, and better integration of students.
Teaching and Learning Methods
The pedagogical recognition of student commitment takes the form of a CE that can be chosen within an opening UE. It is therefore not compulsory but can be chosen by the student in addition to the curriculum.
The activities or missions in the student's commitment can only give rise to one validation per academic cycle.
This CE is not available to students in the first year of the engineering cycle.
The commitment must represent a minimum of 20 hours over the academic year.
Application file: To benefit from the validation of their commitment, the student must:
- Apply to the Director of Studies no later than 7 days after the start of the academic year. For students who start their commitment activity during the semester, the application must be made before the end of the semester to be considered for the following semester.
The application file includes:
- A photocopy of the student card or the school certificate
- The application forms
Any formal proof of belonging to one of the categories listed under “Description”; i.e:
- A certificate of activity and/or mission specifying the host organization, the general missions, and the time constraints, signed by the head of the organization
- A contract of employment
- Any supporting documents that the student considers useful to attest to his/her commitment and the particular needs related to the activity in which he/she is engaged.
- After obtaining a favourable opinion, the registration to the CitiCom CE is validated.
Activities concerned by recognition in the student's curriculum:
- Military activity in the operational reserve
- Volunteer firefighter commitment
- Voluntary civic service commitment
- Voluntary service in the armed forces
- Voluntary activity with associations governed by the law of 1st July 1901 (except BDE and junior company)
Activities excluded from the recognition of student commitment:
- Occasional participation in associative actions
- Student projects that are already recognized pedagogically
- Internships that are part of the curriculum
Please note: The recognition of student commitment cannot be combined with the following schemes:
- Gap year
- Student employee status
The learning objectives are different depending on the type of engagement of the student. They will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Nb hours: 20 hours
- Whatever the type of commitment, attendance is an evaluation criterion.
- The evaluation of the report is based partly on the personal investment and the effective and lasting involvement of the student during the execution of the assignment, but also on his or her ability to present the issues at stake in the action, to propose a reflection on this commitment and the skills acquired or developed.
The evaluation will be done every semester based on a 3 to 5-page report justifying and describing the activities of the student's commitment, allowing the identification of the skills, knowledge, and abilities acquired.
The report is not only descriptive. It is a reflexive approach to the actions carried out, the results obtained and the enhancement of the skills acquired, which may be transversal (working in a team, being autonomous, organizing an event, etc.)
The report will be evaluated by the student life officer or by a person designated by the Director of Studies.
The student may refer to the portfolio of competencies published by the Ministry of Sports, Youth, Popular Education, and Associative Life to help him/her in the reflection and writing of the report.
In addition, a certificate of completion of the activity and/or assignment specifying the host organization, the general assignments, and giving an opinion on the student's commitment, signed by the head of the host organization, will be requested.
Based on this evaluation, the validation of the skills, knowledge, and abilities acquired during the activities will be pronounced.