A winning team
EURECOM’s professors and researchers enjoy widespread recognition in the scientific community and their works are regularly honored :
David Gesbert receives for the second time the Best Tutorial Paper Award!
David Gesbert, Professor and Head of the Mobile Communications Department at EURECOM, and his co-authors, received the "Best Tutorial Paper Award" from the prestigious IEEE COMMUNICATIONS SOCIETY for his article "Multi-Cell MIMO Cooperative Networks: A New Look at interference", published in the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 28, No. 9, December 2010, pp. 1380-1408. This award is given annually to an outstanding tutorial paper published in any Communications society magazine or journal in the previous 5 calendar years. The award will be presented on June 9 at the IEEE ICC 2015 conference in London, UK. Note that David Gesbert had already received this award in 2004 for his article "From Theory to Practice: An Overview of Space-Time Coded MIMO Wireless Systems".
Ahmad Assaf, Raphaël Troncy and their co-author won a Best Paper Award for the article "Roomba: An extensible framework to validate and build dataset profiles" during the 2nd International Workshop on Dataset Profiling & Federated Search for Linked Data, PROFILES 2015 (Main conference ESWC15), 31 May-4 June 2015, Portoroz, Slovenia.
Quentin Jacquemart, Ernst Biersack and their co-authors won a Best Paper Award for their article "Investigating the nature of routing anomalies: closing in on subprefix hijacking attacks", during TMA 2015 (7th International Workshop on Traffic Monitoring and Analysis), 23-24 April, Barcelona, Spain
2015 EURASIP Fellowship for Professor Slock
To recognize outstanding achievements in the broad field of Signal Processing, each year the European Association for Signal Processing (EURASIP) elevates a select group of up to maximum four signal processing researchers to 'EURASIP Fellow', the Association's most prestigious honour.
In recognition of his many important contributions, the EURASIP Board of Directors (BoD) raised Professor Dirk Slock to the rank of Fellow. The proposed citation would read: “For contributions to adaptive filtering and signal processing for communications"
Professor Christian Bonnet, has received the "Best Paper Award" from IARIA for his article “The connectivity control framework: Enabling session continuity in multi-domain environments” written with Michelle Wetterwald, during MOBILITY 2014, 4th International Conference on Mobile Services, Resources, and Users, July 20-24, 2014, Paris, France.
Martina Cardone, doctoral student in the Mobile Communications Department supervised by Professors Raymond Knopp and Daniela Tuninetti, received in April 2014 the Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship for her work on relay-assisted mobile downlink channels. The goal of her research is to maximize system capacity through the use of relays in a communication channel.
The prize is awarded every year to the most innovative doctoral students throughout Europe and the United States. This year, 137 projects representing 18 schools were competing.
Xuran ZHAO, a former doctoral student from the Multimedia Communication Department of EURECOM, who defended his public thesis of Télécom ParisTech on October 24, 2013 on the topic “Multi-view Dimensionality Reduction for Multi-modal Biometrics” has been selected as one of the winner of the "Prix de Thèse de la Fondation Télécom". The Jury of the best theses composed of experts from the partner of the Fondation Télécom has awarded four theses. The prizegiving ceremony will take place on April 9, 2014 at BNP Paribas in Paris.
Jonas Zaddach received a Best Student Paper Award for his article « Implementation and Implications of a Stealth Hard-Drive Backdoor » coauthored with Davide Balzarotti and Aurélien Francillon during the international conference ACSAC 2013 (Annual Computer Security Applications Conference), 8 -12 December 2013, New Orleans, USA.
Xuran Zhao received a "best student paper" for his paper entitled "Unsupervised Multi-view Dimensionality Reduction with Application to Audio-Visual Speaker Retrieval" coauthored with Nicholas Evans and Jean-Luc Dugelay during the IEEE International Workshop on Information Forensics and Security (Guangzhou, China, November 18-21, 2013).
As one of 11 submissions, the LinkedTV submission lead by Mathilde Sahuguet and Benoit Huet obtained the second best result for the search task and achieved best for the hyperlinking task according to the final results which were made public at the MediaEval Workshop on October 18/19th in Barcelona, Spain (www.mediaeval.org). A « Distinctive Mention Award » was presented to Mathilde during the closing session of the workshop. Such results indicate that LinkedTV is currently providing one of the leading technologies for this task!
Babak Rahbarinia, Roberto Perdisci, Andrea Lanzi, Kang Li won a Best Paper Award for "PeerRush: Mining for Unwanted P2P Traffic" during the 10th Conference on Detection of Intrusions and Malware & Vulnerability Assessment, DIMVA 2013, 17-19 July 2013, Berlin, Germany.
Neslihan Kose won a "best student paper" during the conference FG 2013 "10th IEEE Conference on Automatic Face and gesture Recognition" Shanghai, China - April 22-26, 2013, for the paper "Countermeasure for the Protection of Face Recognition Systems Against Mask Attacks" coauthored with Jean-Luc Dugelay. For more informations
"Best AI Mashup Award" for Ahmad ASSAF, Cifre PhD for SAP, for the article "SNARC – A Semantic Social News Aggregator" coauthored with Aline Senart and Raphaël Troncy, during the "AI Mashup Challenge 2013 – CFP", Semantic and intelligent mashup competition, ESWC 2013, ESWC 2013, May 26-30, Montpellier. See the interview
Roman Couillet, a former student of EURECOM (class 2007), won the "médaille de bronze 2013 du CNRS" (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique) in the section "science of information and its interactions". This award is presented annually to young researchers (five to ten years after their PhD) working in France for their initial research. After his engineering degree, Romain Couillet prepared his PhD with SUPÉLEC which he graduated in November 2010. He is currently an assistant professor in the Telecommunication department of SUPÉLEC, France.
David Gesbert and his collaborators from the University of Texas at Austin, Supelec, and Huawei (Marios Kountouris, Robert W. Heath, Jr., Chan-Byoung Chae and Thomas Salzer) won in January 2013 the "2012 SPS Signal Processing Magazine Award" for the article entitled "Shifting the MIMO Paradigm". For more informations
EURECOM intern Jessica Conti won “Grand Prix de Stage de Recherche de l’Ecole Polytechnique”. Jessica Conti, a student at the prestigious L’Ecole Polytechnique in Paris, France, has been selected to receive the Grand Prix de Stage de Recherche de l’Ecole Polytechnique for the work she performed during his three-month spring internship at EURECOM. Jessica worked with research advisor Prof. JL Dugelay on “Database gained with Kinect and facial recognition”. The honorary award is given annually to six students who performed exceptional interdisciplinary work during their research internships.
Houda Khrouf, Vuk Milicic and Raphaël Troncy won a Semantic Web Challenge Award for "EventMedia Live : Exploring events connections in real-time to enhance content" presented at the Semantic Web Challenge, Open Track, of the 11th International Semantic Web Conference, Boston, USA, November 2012. For more informations
Gabriel Serme, Anderson Santana De Oliveira, Marco Guarnieriy and Paul El Khoury received a Best Paper Award for the paper "Towards assisted remediation of security vulnerabilities" during SECURWARE 2012, 6th International Conference on Emerging Security Information, Systems and Technologies, August 19-24, 2012, Rome, Italy.
Andreea Picu, Thrasyvoulos Spyropoulos and Theus Hossmann received a Best Paper Award for the paper "An Analysis of the Information Spreading Delay in Heterogeneous Mobility DTNs" Proceedings of IEEE WoWMoM 2012, IEEE, San Francisco, CA, USA, June 25-28, 2012.
Andreea Picu is an ETH Zurich student and she is currently visiting scientist in the Mobile Communications department of EURECOM.
Nesli Erdogmus and Jean-Luc Dugelay received a Best Paper Award for the paper "On Discriminative Properties of TPS Warping Parameters for 3D Face Recognition" at ICIEV 2012, IEEE/IAPR Int. Conf. on Informatics, Electronics & Vision, 18-19 May, 2012, Dhaka (India).
Carmelo Velardo and Jean-Luc Dugelay won a Best Student Research Demonstration Award for "Real Time Extraction of Body Soft Biometric for Telemedicine" during the GTTI Thematic Meeting on Multimedia Signal Processing 2012 at Courmayeur (Italy), March, 19-21.
Matthias Hernandez, EURECOM student of class of 2011, won "the 2011 best internship award" from the Fondation Télécom for his internship on "Face pose and expression estimation" done at the University of Southern California (USC), in the United States.
The HNPS Heterogeneous Networks for European Public Safety project represented by Navid Nikaein was awarded the CELTIC Excellence award 2012 in Bronze during the CELTIC-Plus Event 2012 in Stockholm, February 22. More informations
Wiem Taktak and Jean-Luc Dugelay received a Best Student Paper Award for the article "Digital Image Forensics: A 2-step approach for identifying source and detecting forgeries" during "2011 Pacific-Rim Conference on Multimedia" December 20-22, Sydney, Australia.
Jérôme Härri and Christian Bonnet received a Best Demo/Poster Award concerning the ITETRIS project "Modeling and Simulating ITS Applications with iTETRIS" during ACM MSWIM 2011, The 14th ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems, October 31- November 4, Miami Beach, FL, USA.
During the ISWC 2011 held in Bonn, EURECOM team (Houda Khrouf, Ghislain Atemezing, Giuseppe Rizzo, Raphaël Troncy & Thomas Steiner) received an award in the "Linked Data-a-Thon" challenge for the "Best Concept" for their web application".
Daniel Câmara, Christian Bonnet, Michelle Wetterwald and Navid Nikaein received a Best Paper Award for the article "Multicast and Virtual Road Side Units for Multi Technology Alert Messages Dissemination", during the First International Workshop on Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks for Public Safety Systems (IEEE), Valencia, Spain in October 2011.
Louis Plissonneau received a Best Student Poster Award during ITC 23 : 23rd International Teletraffic Congress, September 6-8, 2011, San Francisco, USA for the poster "Pytomo: A Tool for Analyzing Playback Quality of YouTube Videos".
Mehdi Khalfaoui, Kaoutar Elkhiyaoui and Refik Molva received a Best Paper Award for the article "Privacy Preserving Products Tracking in Clustered Supply Chain" during SENSORCOMM 2011, 5th International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications, August 21-27, Nice, France.
Antitza DANTCHEVA and Jean-Luc DUGELAY received a Best Presentation Award for «Female Facial Aesthetics based on Soft Biometrics and Photo-quality» during the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo - ICME 2011, July 11-15, Barcelona, Spain.
Arun Singh received a Best Student Paper Award during the IEEE conference on Signal Processing Advances in Communications in June 2011 (San Francisco, USA) for the paper "Diversity-Multiplexing Tradeoff for the non-separated Two-way Relay DF Channel" coauthored with Petros Elia, Kiran T. Gowda and David Gesbert.
Rizwan GHAFFAR received a Best Student Paper Award for the article coauthored with Umer SALIM, Irfan Ghauri and Raymond Knopp "Mixed CSIT DL channel : gains with interference aware receivers" during the 17th European Wireless Conference 2011, April 27-29, Vienna, Austria.
Valdrin Koshi, EURECOM student of class of 2010, won the "the 2010 best internship award" from the Telecom Foundation for his internship done at SAP Business Objects Innovation Center on: "Augmented reality and business intelligence on mobile devices". Assigned each year to outstanding students of the schools of Institut Telecom, this prize is awarded by the "Fondation Telecom".
Leyla Yumer Bilge won the Symantec Graduate Fellowship 2011. It's a very prestigious award that is assigned every year to outstanding PhD students. A key goal of the program is to fund innovative research that has real-world value in information security. Only two or three students received every year. Previous winners were all from top university in the US and it is the first time that it is granted to a student in Europe.
Marco Balduzzi received a Best paper Award for the article coauthored with Davide Balzarotti and Engin Kirda "Automated discovery of parameter pollution vulnerabilities in web application" during NDSS'11, 8th Annual Network and Distributed System Security Symposium, 6-9 February 2011, San Diego, California, USA.
"Distinguished Achievement Award" from the Network of Excellence Newcom ++ has been attributed to Petros Elia, Professor of mobile communications for the excellence of its research as part of Newcom. This is a European network of excellence in the field of telecommunications, which together 37 universities and research institutes working on highly complex problems of telecommunications.
The Blondel medal awarded to Jean-Luc DUGELAY. An award for a high-level researcher and professor in the Multimedia Communications Department at EURECOM.
The SEE (French Electricity, Electronics and Information and Communications Technologies Society) has awarded Jean-Luc DUGELAY professor the 2010 Blondel Medal for his outstanding work in biometrics, especially digital watermarking and facial analysis for criminal imaging.
The highest prize awarded by the SEE (French Electricity, Electronics and Information and Communications Technologies Society), the Blondel Medal recognises a researcher under 45 years old who has authored works or recorded exceptional achievements that have contributed to the advancement of science in Information and Communication Technology.
- Waël GUIBENE received a Best Student Paper Award for the article coauthored with Aawatif HAYAR "Joint time frequency spectrum sensing for cognitive radio" during the International Workshop on Cognitive Radio and Advanced Spectrum Management - CogART in Roma (Italy) from 8 to 10 November 2010.
Erick AMADOR receveid a Best Paper Award for the paper coauthored with Raymond KNOPP and Renaud PACALET "Hybrid iteration control on LDPC decoders" during the Sixth International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Communications - ICWMC 2010 - September 20-25, 2010 in Valencia, Spain.
- Judith REDI Post doctoral researcher at the Multimedia department received a "ASING Phd Thesis Award" from the University of Genova(Italy) in July 2010 for her contribution "Visual overall Quality assessment : a perception-driven framework based on Computational intelligence techniques".
- Nadia FAWAZ Postdoctoral Researcher at Research Laboratory of Electronics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has been awarded the DGA thesis 2008 price by the French ministry of Defense and the French Ministry of Higher Education in May 2010. She received her Ph.D. (2008) in Electrical Engineering from TELECOM ParisTech / EURECOM, majoring in Mobile Communications. Her research work was conducted under the supervision of Prof. Mérouane Debbah and Prof. David Gesbert, and was supported by a grant from the French Defense Body DGA.
- Van-Hau PHAM received a Best Paper Award for the paper coauthored with Marc DACIER "Honeypot traces forensics : the observation view point matters" during the 3rd International Conference on Network and System Security, October 19-21, 2009, Gold Cost, Australia.
- Christian WELLEKENS and members of the Divine project received a Best Paper Award for the paper "Automatic speech recognition and speech variability: A review" selected by The International Speech Communication Association during the conference Interspeech in Brighton (UK) 6 - 10 September 2009.
- Andrea LANZI received a Best Student Paper Award of the IEEE symposium on Security and Privacy from 17 to 20 May in Oakland, California, for his paper "Automatic Reverse Engineering of Malware Emulators".
- Alessandro SORNIOTTI received a Best Paper Award during the IFIP SEC 2009 - 24th International Information Security Conference - from 18 to 20 May in Pafos, Cyprus, for the paper coauthored with Refik MOLVA "A provably secure secret handshake with dynamic controlled matching".
- Nouha OUALHA and Yves ROUDIER received the Best Paper Award for the paper "A Game Theoretical Approach in Securing P2P Storage against Whitewashers" during the workshop COPS'09 (5th International Workshop on Collaborative Peer-to-Peer Systems) from June 29 to July 1st in Groningen in the Netherlands.
- Alessandro DUMINUCO received the Best Paper Aaward for the paper coauthored with Prof. Ernst BIERSACK "Hierarchical codes: how to make erasure codes attractive for peer-to-peer storage system" presented at P2P'08, 8th IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing, September 8th-11th, 2008, Aachen, Germany.
- Eric GALMAR was elected in July 2008 "Student of the month" by K-Space. More informations
- Marco PALEARI received the Best Student Paper Award of the Sixth International Workshop on Content-Based Multimedia Indexing, CBMI'08 (18 - 20 June, London, UK) for his paper "Toward Emotion Indexing of Multimedia Excerpts" coauthored with Benoit HUET.
Dr. Thorsten STRUFE was awarded on April, 18. 2008 with FFK Award for best theoretically oriented Ph.D. thesis at TU Ilmenau in 2007. The award is given on an annual basis by the Förder- und Freundeskreis der TU Ilmenau e.V. (Association of Friends and Supporters of TU Ilmenau, FFK).
The thesis is focused on the construction of network-efficient overlay topologies for live multimedia streaming, making them especially resilient towards both the failure of nodes and Denial of Service (DoS) attacks.
- Alberto SUAREZ and Raul DE LACERDA with Samson LASAULCE (CNRS) and Merouane DEBBAH(Supelec) received the Best Student paper award goes to "Cross-system resource allocation based on random matrix theory" in the Second International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools (October 23-25, 2007, Nantes, France), associated workshops on the 22 and 26, in technical cooperation with ACM Sigmetrics and ACM Sigsim.
- Nicolas BONNEAU and Merouane DEBBAH, Department Mobiles Communications, have been considered for the IEEE Globecom'07 - GS best paper award (26 - 30 November in Washington, DC, USA) for the paper « Constrained Stochastic Games in Wireless Networks » coauthored with Eitan Altman and Daniel Menasche (INRIA). Konstantin Avrachenkov (INRIA Sophia Antipolis) and Rachid El-Azouzi (LIA/CERI University of Avignon). Only two papers from General Symposium receive the award.
INTERNATIONAL SEMANTIC WEb
Raphaël Troncy, Assistant Professor in the Multimedia Communications Department, has received the International Semantic Web prize in November 2012. This prestigious prize rewards a research team working on the Semantic Web. This year more than 20 projects were in competition, some of them coming from worldwide companies such as IBM. EURECOM team won the 1st prize for their application called Event Media. This project, on which EURECOM team has been working on for three years, was sponsored by EURECOM with internal funding.