- Petros Elia received his B.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering from the Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, USA in 1997
- In 2001 and 2006 he received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
- In 1997-1999 he was an engineering consultant for MIOD Detection Technologies on signal-processing projects for Merck and Procter & Gamble
- In 2006-2007 he was a post-doctoral scholar at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD), and a senior researcher at FTW Vienna
- He is a recipient of a four-year "Fulbright scholarship"
- Distinguished Achievement Award: Newcom++ Network of Excellence 2008-2011 (joint with Joakim Jald´en from KTH)
Best student paper award SPAWC 2011 (award received by Arun Singh) - San Francisco, CA, June 2011