- 2000 : M.S in Communication Systems, EURECOM (Double Degree program, EU Erasmus grant)
- 2001: M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Politecnico di Torino
- 2004: Ph.D. in Computer Science, TELECOM Paris Tech
- 2013: HDR (french appellation for "Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches")
- He was the co-founder of CertiMate, a startup company in the secure communications business.
- He is also the scientific advisor for PlayAdz.com, a startup company in the Mobile Advertisement business.
In 2016, Pietro Michiardi and his coauthors won the Best Paper Award for their paper "Access-time Cache Aware Algorithms" presented at the conference ITC2016 (28th International Teletraffic Congress).