The Data Science department of EURECOM invites applications for an open position in the context of an ongoing research project in Fact Checking.
The successful candidate will conduct basic research and develop software prototypes for the automatic verification of claims related to the spread and effects of COVID-19. Depending on the background of the candidate, there would be different roles and responsibilities. The two options are Research Engineer and PostDoc.
The spread of the Coronavirus is accompanied by a spread of rumors and misinformation. Erroneous claims reach from incorrect statistics to "cures" that are potentially dangerous. Our group, in collaboration with Google and the International Fact Checking Organization, is currently involved in research projects that aim at verifying claims about the Coronavirus in an automated fashion, based on recently published research. A prototype of our approach has already attracted over fourteen thousand users as well as international media coverage.
The successful candidate will join the group led by Prof. Paolo Papotti in Sophia Antipolis (France). S/he will contribute to a research project on scalable and explicable fact checking of textual claims about COVID-19 related topics, such as diffusion, impact, vaccination campaigns effects and progress. We will collaborate with the department of Computer Science at Cornell University (USA) and the department of Epidemiology at University of Florida (USA). The candidate’s roles will include :
-conducting basic research and contributing to international publications in the area of computer science (Data management, Data mining, Machine Learning/NLP);
- developing software prototypes and experimentally compare the developed approaches against baseline methods;
- assisting in Master projects and courses.
Requirements for PostDoc
- Education Level / Degree: Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, preferably with a focus on Databases, Data Mining, Machine Learning or NLP.
- Strong track record in the related fields.
- Strong mathematical and algorithmic background.
- Excellent programming skills.
- Excellent communication skills, commitment, and team working.
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English. All activites are in English
Requirements for Engineer
- Education Level / Degree: Master degree in Computer Science, preferably with a focus on Databases, Data Mining, Machine Learning.
- Good mathematical and algorithmic background
- Excellent programming skills
- Excellent communication skills, commitment, and team working
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are mandatory. All activites are in English
The application must include:
- Detailed curriculum,
- List of publications specifying the three most important publications (required for PostDoc),
- List of software projects, possibly with link to public code repository (required for Engineer),
- Motivation letter of at most two pages also presenting the research perspectives (required for PostDoc),
- Name and address of two to three references, at least two from current and/or previous affiliations.
Applications should be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com with the reference : DS_PP_PostDoc_factchecking_Feb21
Screening will start immediately.
The competition will be carried out by an evaluation of titles and examination, by means of an interview.
The start date is ASAP
Start date: ASAP
Duration:12 to 18 Months CDD contract