International Master in Communications and computer security
- The MSc ComSec aims at providing a solid background in the design and management of security in major areas of communications and computer science. The professional training in security will be offered as a companion to an advanced program on computer networking, mobile services and imaging.
- The graduates will thus be able to tackle security problems encountered in networking, distributed software applications and in image processing. Various technical areas ranging from cryptographic mechanisms to intrusion detection and practical countermeasures against network attacks through watermarking of images and biometric identification techniques will be addressed in several courses and laboratories.
- Apart from increased connectivity and a broad range of new services, the advent of new telecommunication and information technologies in the last decade has also given technically advanced intruders the opportunity to carry out a variety of attacks, thereby threatening the integrity of the infrastructure and violating the privacy of users. Ranging from simple spoofing or tampering of personal data to distributed denial of service attacks jeopardizing global network operation, these attacks are even viewed as the major impediment to further development of business applications over Internet.
- As the main countermeasure to these problems, security of communications and computer systems became an important requirement both for users of on-line services and for technical specialists involved in the design of networks and applications. Security mechanisms therefore are embedded as an essential building block of all computer and communications systems at early stages of the design. Recently designed systems like GSM, Mobile IP or the WiFi standards all include sophisticated security mechanisms based on encryption and key management as opposed to their earlier counterparts like the original Internet protocols that were severely lacking security functions.
Language of instruction: English
Application deadline: June 9, 2014 (documents must reach us by this date)
The sonner students apply, the easier it will be to help them prepare their stay in France and most scholarship deadlines are before the end of March.
APPLICATION PROCESS (we invite you to read the Application Guidelines)
1. Fill the online form.
Applicants have to fill the first part regarding personal information and then log in again to download necessary documents)
2. Send by post the required documents to the following address:
International Master's degree Admissions
06410 BIOT SOPHIA ANTIPOLIS FRANCE
3. Selection and admission
The Admission Board will meet monthly from February to June 2014.
We organise 4 sessions for Master ICT applications. Please send all the required application documents by the receipt deadlines specified below.
Candidates will be informed of the Admission Board decision within the month following each application deadline. All applications will be examined by fixed dates. Early applications will have a better chance of being accepted.
Admission board decision
Session 1 : 17 Feb 2014
17 March 2014
4. Admission confirmation
Selected students then have to confirm their admission by paying a 1000€ deposit within one month of the notification of acceptance. The deposit will be deducted from the overall tuition fees.
5. A final registration letter is sent by post to the applicant upon reception of the deposit.
By providing security skills on top of a solid competency in widely demanded fields like mobile networking, web engineering and image processing this master broadens the employment sector from security specialists to a range of companies in the ICT field that need and highly value the additional security expertise. Potential employers thus include companies specialized in security fields such as:
- Network and Software Security Manufacturers (Firewall, IDS, Antivirus… )
- Network and Software Security Service Providers (Consulting, ethical hacking services)
- Hardware and software manufacturers, communication equipment manufacturers
- Professional Services (consulting, project management)
- Network operators
- Application providers
- Research and development in Communication Systems :
- Network consulting.
- Network architecture
- Network management
MAIN ASSETS OF THE PROGRAM:
- Renowned degree:
The International Master"s degree is State-recognized degree, accredited by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Reseach and acreditated by PARISTECH (Paris Institute of Technology). PARISTECH is a consortium of the most renowned French engineering schools (and a Business school, HEC). This consortium has gained international recognition by signing academic partnerships with the best universities in many countries.
- Unparalleled location:
EURECOM is located at the heart of the science park SOPHIA-ANTIPOLIS, considered a major European region for telecommunications research and development. SOPHIA ANTIPOLIS bring toghether many prominent international companies and institutions; AMADEUS, IMB, HP, CISCO, ETSI, THALES, ALCATEL, FORTINET, GEMALTO, SYMANTEC..) and thus provides many employment opportunities for our graduates (more info).
EURECOM also enjoys a wonderful location on the French Rivieria (between Nice and Cannes), 300 days of sun per year, 30min from the beaches and 1h00 from the mountains, it provides many opportunities for sport lovers and a pleasant climate.
Powerful professional network :
Thanks its unique Consortium format (or "Groupement d'intérêt économique"), EURECOM was able to sign several long-term agreements with world-renowned universities and companies (Telecom Paristech, TU Munich, BMW, SYMANTEC...) which are heavily involved in its research and teaching. EURECOM has also established a synergy with the local industrial environment in SOPHIA ANTIPOLIS on advanced research topics. Our alumni have an impressive track record of success in the global careers market and constitutes a network of precious contacts.
Students are supervised by an international faculty of renowned researchers (Professors from 13 nationalities, IEEE fellows, 276 publications/year, average H-Number of 18 up to 26...). Their courses benefit from the latest advances in research (half of EURECOM's budget is drawn from industrial and European research contracts).
During their master' studies, students will have access to cutting edge technological platforms within EURECOM's Wireless Communication Laboratory (OPENAIRINTERFACE).
- International environment
EURECOM offers a unique international environnement with more than 60% of foreign students (from 25 nationalities); 70% of foreign professors and a curriculum totally taught in Enlighs. It helps student develop a truly international profile and intercultural skills to increase their competitivity. Students are strongly encouraged to work on projects in multicultural groups to learn how to look at and solve problems in a different way.
Cutting-edge professional experience:
The program includes a paid 6-month internship in a company, under supervision of a professor. The internship provides students the unique opportunity to gain cutting edge professional experience and enhance their competitiveness on the labour market upon graduation. EURECOM has an impressive record of national and international internship opportunities in leading companies.
Personal Assistance and professors' availibility
Students benefit from personnal assistance in all administrative issues at all stages of their studies thanks to a very dedicated and always available staff.
EURECOM's human size scale allows for a greater availibility of our professors who can easily be contacted by the students to advise them during their studies. We have a very good professor/student ratio (average of 9 students per professor)
Fall semester (October-January)
|T||ImCompress||5.00||Image and video Compression and Processing|
|T||Netw_I||5.00||Introduction to computer networking and internet|
|T||SoftDev||5.00||Software development methodologies|
|T||SysSec||5.00||System and Network Security|
|T||WebInt||3.00||Human-computer interaction for the Web: interaction design and user evaluation|
Spring semester (February-June)
|T||AlgoDesign||3.00||Applied Algorithm Design|
|T||Clouds||5.00||Distributed Systems and Cloud Computing|
|T||Forensics||5.00||Cyber-crime and Computer Forensics|
|T||HWSec||3.00||Security of Security hardware|
|T||ImSecu||3.00||Imaging for security applications watermarking & biometrics|
|T||MobWat||3.00||Wireless Access Technologies|
|T||Netw_II||5.00||Internetworking architectures and protocols|
|T||SecAppli||3.00||Security applications in networking and distributed systems|
|T||WebSem||3.00||An Introduction to Semantic Web technologies|
hanras [at] eurecom [dot] fr (subject: International%20Master) (Caroline HANRAS)
International Relations Manager
I had a very memorable stay at EURECOM. We got a personal treatment from both, faculty and the administrative staff. I’m really grateful for that.
The first thing I noticed at EURECOM was such a colourful multicultural environment. That gives a knowhow about the world, a huge international platform for knowledge sharing. Regarding academics, the course content was updated. We were given a wide knowledge about many latest technologies. All the courses were very well designed and practically oriented.
Towards the end of my studies, I joined Hitachi's ICTL lab as a final semester intern. My work at Hitachi was closely related to EURECOM's research activities. At the completion of my internship, I was hired by Hitachi. I believe, EURECOM's industry oriented curriculum helped me a lot to mould my profile in accordance with the current job market requirements. Currently I'm working as a Software Consultant at Amadeus, which is the world's largest transaction processor for the global travel and tourism industry. EURECOM's alumni are truly global and widespread. Today, at this point of my career, I firmly believe EURECOM played a major role in my achievements and continues to give its students an edge in today's competitive job scenario. I thank EURECOM for the foundation and confidence it provided.
Thanks and Regards,
Software Consultant at Amadeus, Sophia Antipolis, France
Class of 2009