International Master in Communications and computer security
- The MSc ComSec aims at providing a solid background in the design and management of security in major areas of communications and computer science. The professional training in security will be offered as a companion to an advanced program on computer networking, mobile services and imaging.
- The graduates will thus be able to tackle security problems encountered in networking, distributed software applications and in image processing. Various technical areas ranging from cryptographic mechanisms to intrusion detection and practical countermeasures against network attacks through watermarking of images and biometric identification techniques will be addressed in several courses and laboratories.
- Apart from increased connectivity and a broad range of new services, the advent of new telecommunication and information technologies in the last decade has also given technically advanced intruders the opportunity to carry out a variety of attacks, thereby threatening the integrity of the infrastructure and violating the privacy of users. Ranging from simple spoofing or tampering of personal data to distributed denial of service attacks jeopardizing global network operation, these attacks are even viewed as the major impediment to further development of business applications over Internet.
- As the main countermeasure to these problems, security of communications and computer systems became an important requirement both for users of on-line services and for technical specialists involved in the design of networks and applications. Security mechanisms therefore are embedded as an essential building block of all computer and communications systems at early stages of the design. Recently designed systems like GSM, Mobile IP or the WiFi standards all include sophisticated security mechanisms based on encryption and key management as opposed to their earlier counterparts like the original Internet protocols that were severely lacking security functions.
Language of instruction: English
The Master's course is open to holders of a 4-year Bachelor’s degree issued by an internationally recognized university. A good background in mathematics, physics, signal processing and electronics is needed.
For English, we require a minimum score of 550 points on the TOEFL exam; 5.5 on the IELTS, 750 or the Cambridge CAE.
Prior French knowledge is not required, yet it is advised to consult the French consulate since a basic level in French may be necessary to obtain the student visa.
The Admission Board will meet monthly from February to June 2014. The last deadline to apply is June, 6th 2014.
How to apply?
Please click on the following link to access to the application procedures.
By providing security skills on top of a solid competency in widely demanded fields like mobile networking, web engineering and image processing this master broadens the employment sector from security specialists to a range of companies in the ICT field that need and highly value the additional security expertise. Potential employers thus include companies specialized in security fields such as:
- Network and Software Security Manufacturers (Firewall, IDS, Antivirus… )
- Network and Software Security Service Providers (Consulting, ethical hacking services)
- Hardware and software manufacturers, communication equipment manufacturers
- Professional Services (consulting, project management)
- Network operators
- Application providers
- Research and development in Communication Systems :
- Network consulting.
- Network architecture
- Network management
For more information about the tuition fees and other financial matter, please refer to this link.
Fall semester (October-January)
|T||ImCompress||5.00||Image and video Compression and Processing|
|T||Netw_I||5.00||Introduction to computer networking and internet|
|T||SoftDev||5.00||Software development methodologies|
|T||SysSec||5.00||System and Network Security|
|T||WebInt||3.00||Human-computer interaction for the Web: interaction design and user evaluation|
Spring semester (February-June)
|T||AlgoDesign||3.00||Applied Algorithm Design|
|T||Clouds||5.00||Distributed Systems and Cloud Computing|
|T||Forensics||5.00||Cyber-crime and Computer Forensics|
|T||HWSec||3.00||Security of Security hardware|
|T||ImSecu||3.00||Imaging for security applications watermarking & biometrics|
|T||MobWat||3.00||Wireless Access Technologies|
|T||Netw_II||5.00||Internetworking architectures and protocols|
|T||SecAppli||3.00||Security applications in networking and distributed systems|
|T||WebSem||3.00||An Introduction to Semantic Web technologies|
International Relations and Admission Manager
hanras [at] eurecom [dot] fr (Send an email)
I had a very memorable stay at EURECOM. We got a personal treatment from both, faculty and the administrative staff. I’m really grateful for that.
The first thing I noticed at EURECOM was such a colourful multicultural environment. That gives a knowhow about the world, a huge international platform for knowledge sharing. Regarding academics, the course content was updated. We were given a wide knowledge about many latest technologies. All the courses were very well designed and practically oriented.
Towards the end of my studies, I joined Hitachi's ICTL lab as a final semester intern. My work at Hitachi was closely related to EURECOM's research activities. At the completion of my internship, I was hired by Hitachi. I believe, EURECOM's industry oriented curriculum helped me a lot to mould my profile in accordance with the current job market requirements. Currently I'm working as a Software Consultant at Amadeus, which is the world's largest transaction processor for the global travel and tourism industry. EURECOM's alumni are truly global and widespread. Today, at this point of my career, I firmly believe EURECOM played a major role in my achievements and continues to give its students an edge in today's competitive job scenario. I thank EURECOM for the foundation and confidence it provided.
Thanks and Regards,
Software Consultant at Amadeus, Sophia Antipolis, France
Class of 2009