- He received a Ph.D.degree in Computer Science in 1992 from Rennes University.
- Jean-Luc Dugelay has defended his HDR (french qualification for "Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches") in 2013
- From 1989 to 1992, he worked for France Telecom Research, Rennes (formerly CCETT) on 3-D Motion Estimation & Stereoscopic Television.
- In November 2013, he has received with his co-authors Xuran Zhao and Nicholas Evans, a Best Student Paper Award for the article "Unsupervised multi-view dimensionality reduction with application to audio-visual speaker retrieval".
- He received the Fellow Distinction from IEEE in 2012.
- In July 2011, he was awarded a Best Presentation Award (with Antitza Dantcheva) for the article "Female facial aesthetics based on soft biometrics and photo-quality"
- He was awarded the SEE 2010 Blondel Medal for his outstanding work in biometrics and digital watermarking.